To begin, you should understand the reasons why the child does not want to learn. Only after finding these reasons you should start looking for ways to solve the problem. Do not panic because of the situation. In fact, many parents are faced with the fact that their child does not want to learn. This does not mean that he is ignorant, does not understand the information from the teacher or is stupid. Aversion to learning can have many causes. Let’s think together why your child does not want to learn.
Why the child does not want to learn?
The most common cause of a lack of interest in learning is the poorly developed habit of systematic learning. Children are very sensitive to their failures. School is a place where a child regularly faces difficulties.
Diseases and mental features – the reasons why the child does not want to learn
Problems with learning may arise due to several physical and psychological diseases of the baby:
- The problem with concentration. The kid is constantly distracted by extraneous sounds or conversations of other children. The teacher cannot hold his attention for long. Therefore, the child perceives learning material worse;
- developmental disability;
- Hyperactivity. Many children cannot sit quietly in class for 30-40 minutes. By the middle of this time, they start to get distracted because they are tired of sitting in one place. Hyperactivity can be a serious impetus to the fact that the child does not want to learn;
- Hearing, sight, or speech impairment. A baby can have diseases from early childhood. Problems with speech or hearing aids can result in the child not being able to answer normally at the blackboard or answer the teacher’s questions. He will begin to doubt himself because of unsuccessful attempts to answer to the teacher.
Often peers are very cruel to our children. For this reason, the child does not want to learn and begins to withdraw into himself. There is a possibility that he is ridiculed in class, beaten, chased, taken away, or simply ignored. There is a possibility that the child has problems with the teacher. He does not help the child to solve problems with peers, not trying to maintain a friendly atmosphere in the classroom.
Parents should keep their children interested in learning
Not always the problem of unwillingness to learn is in the child. There is no guarantee that your baby is lazy or not very smart. He develops his motivation throughout his childhood. First of all, he looks at you. Parents will always be the authority for the child, even in adolescence.
For this reason, the child can take your criticism very painfully, but listen to the praises with an incredible emotional enthusiasm! Regular angry criticism, insults, punishment and accusations can be the main reason that a child does not want to learn. Try to communicate a lot with your children to support them in difficult times. Do not shout at the child because of a bad assessment. You should not compare his failures with the success of other children. These are the first signs of a bad parent.
Watch how your child develops. Its progress in education, social environment and psychological development depends on your control. Do not forget to learn yourself. If the child asks to explain something that you do not understand, then do not send him to look for answers on the Internet. Try to sort this out together. The child will see that you do not care about his studies, that the material from the lessons is so interesting that even his mom or dad wanted to find the answers!
What if the child does not want to do homework?
Talk openly with your child about his motivation problems. You need to explain to him that learning is not only a necessity, but also a duty. Try to bring to the child information that his unwillingness to learn will only exacerbate his life. He will receive more bad grades, he will not be able to get a good education in the future.
With an older child and young people, it is important to have a meaningful and honest conversation about his future, his chances of doing what he dreams of. The teenager must make his own decisions about his future and what suits him.
What you should never do:
- Do not compare your child with his classmates. If other children did better than the baby, then you can’t say: “Your friends are better than you.” Because of this statement, the child does not want to learn even more. Also, you lower his self-esteem, you downplay him in front of other children;
- Never tell your child that if he does not learn, he will never achieve anything in life. If you constantly repeat this mantra, then he will begin to repeat it independently, believing that he will never succeed.
- Do not yell at the child. Children are very sensitive. From your scream, they will not perceive any important information. Your anger can become for them the association “learning problems = suffering”